Wednesday 22 May 2013

5 petits pois...

One of Little Imp's absolute favourite action rhymes at the moment is 5 little peas and the other week she asked me how to say it in French. Hmm, I replied, I don't know if they have this rhyme in France, I'll see what I can find.  After lots of searching I finally came up with a version from the "Comptines pour enfants" app on my phone and Little Imp is now well and truly hooked on both versions.  It seemed like a good one to introduce at our toddler session and so last Friday that is what I did :o)


Now, I was quite surprised that not many of our little ones knew the English version, so for those of you that are new to this rhyme here are the English words and the actions:

5 little peas in a peapod pressed, (hands clasped together with fingers interlocking)
1 grew, (lift one finger)
2 grew, (lift a second finger)
and so did all the rest. (lift 3 more fingers)
They grew and grew, (move your hands further and further apart)
they did not stop
Until one day that pod went  (drag the suspense out here with a pause)
POP!!! (Clap hands together on pop)

The French version goes like this (the actions are the same):

5 petits pois serrés dans une cosse,
Un grandit,
Son voisin grossit,
Les trois autres aussi.
Ils grandissent, grandissent,
grossissent, grossissent,
et...........
CRAC - la cosse éclate!!!

To accompany this rhyme we were obviously going to need to make a peapod and peas - unfortunately I completely forgot to take any photos this week, so I just have two of Little Imp's to share with you, one of the outside of the pod and one looking in.





To make your own peapod and peas you will need:

A paper plate
green collage scraps
glue
5 green pompoms
a stapler
scissors
googly eyes/eye stickers (optional)

First, fold your paper plate in half and cut down to a peapod shape.  Staple the sides of your plate together.

Next, let your little one loose with the glue and collage scraps to decorate the peapod green.

Finally pop your 5 little pompom peas inside - you can add little eyes if you wish like Little Imp did!

Happy singing and crafting! :o)

2 comments:

  1. I love this one Emma! You guys always have so much fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nic, we do!! I think us Mummies have as much fun as the little ones!! Watch this space for Friday's post - as soon as I get chance to upload the pictures - think you'll like that one too!! :0)

      Delete